Saturday, February 12, 2011

Still got "IT" at 102!

One of Mikes and My favorite things to do, is to go see grandma! When I tell mike I'm going to go see her, he arranges his schedule so that he can join me. She is so cute and keeps us laughing. She is seriously like a young girl and when we hang out, it's like we are with a friend OUR age! She still feels like doing the jitterbug (although she no longer can), and talks about her travels and her dreams of doing even more. She talks about her career and the kids she taught many, many years ago, and how she would continue her education-if she could, she loves her family and gives me the weekly updates, she's a enthusiastic jazz fan and knows the players/stats/scores...she even has a crush on Kirilenko (she likes his hair)! This last time after we we went out to eat, she announced "I feel like I should go have a race with someone"! She reminds us each time we see her how much she loves life. How she wakes up in the morning and greets the sunshine and says to herself, "hello sunshine" and then claims to laugh until she can't laugh anymore. Her secret to living a long life is to "LOVE IT!"

She still lives alone in her two story house. Her treadmill sits in the basement where she makes her way down daily to get in her exercise. One day when we were sitting at Golden Corral gorging ourselves on the buffet. (By the way this is a regular thing for us. She loves to go out to eat at GC!) My grandma began talking to a woman next to us about her exercise routine and the woman regretfully shared that she doesn't get any, to grandmas reply "well if you can't exercise, you mind as well be in the DIRT", I quickly laughed it off, to ease the harshness of the response.. but this is how she lives... she really LIVES. She doesn't let her age slow her down, she hasn't given up on the things she loves, and she keeps her head up and a smile on her face. Her body may be weakening but her spirit is young, strong, and wants to forge on wildly.

This last visit I arrived and noticed that her hair had been done by one of her thoughtful neighbors. I told her she looked so beautiful that I wanted to take her picture. I gave her a hug and kiss and she then asked "well aren't you going to take my picture?" I laughed and grabbed my camera. She had one more suggestion before I started snapping, she wanted her fur vest from out of the closet. Once she was beautified, she needed no instruction she kicked her leg up in the air before I had my camera ready. I was laughing so hard. She worked that camera like she was Heidi Klum She LOVED it! She just kept posing and giggling and I just kept snapping away, laughing along with her. I think it's fair to say that at 102- this girl still has "IT"! :) After our photo-shoot she proudly acknowledges "I feel like HOLLY" My sister Holly is animated, lively, enthusiastic, and happy*happy*happy. She couldn't have said it better! :) I love this gal! :)

To hear my sister Heathers thoughts on grandma, click here (One day I would love to write like her)




1 comment:

  1. LOVE this lady. We are indeed the LUCKIEST grandkids around! I admire ALL she is. I am so glad that you and Mike are able to take the time to visit her. I would give anything to live close enough to spend time with her. She is quite the model! Great photoshoot! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete